Germantown Legends Soccer FAQs
The Legends Soccer Club focuses intensely on creating brave creative leaders for life. Our no guilt, no shame, no blame philosophy gives kids the confidence to get out of their comfort zone and create the big play in any situation!
1. What type of Soccer programs are offered by the Germantown Legends?
- HappyFeet - seven week Saturday only program, for children beginning at 2-1/2 years of age
- FUTURE LEGENDS REC SOCCER - U5, U6, U7/ U8 and U9/ U10 Boys and Girls RECREATIONAL Soccer program with an emphasis on INSTRUCTION, PLUS a free skills session each week during the regular season. Recognized as Division 4 by US Youth Soccer.
- FUTURE LEGENDS ADVANCED REC (or ACADEMY Program) - U7, U8 & U9 Boys and Girls wanting and seeking an additional challenge with a desire to take their game to the next level (season to season program, determined by the needs, skill level and number of available players).
- JR. LEGENDS - U12 to U19 Boys & Girls Recreational Soccer. Recognized as Division 4 by US Youth Soccer.
- LEGENDS - 'competitive' soccer program for boys and girls, U8- U19. Recognized as Division 1, 2 and 3 by US Youth Soccer.
- TOPSoccer – The Outreach Program for Soccer is a community-based training and team placement program for young athletes with disabilities. The purpose is to give every player a chance to experience the joy of soccer. Legends – Competitive Soccer program, U9- U19 Boys & Girls
2. What do players need to bring to all Practices, Skill Sessions and Games?
Kids should bring the following to ALL training sessions and games.
- Appropriate size Soccer Ball
- Wear shin guards UNDER their socks
3. What size Soccer ball does my child need?
- U5- U8: Size 3
- U10- U12: Size 4
- U14-and above: Size 5
- Be sure to have your name and phone number on all gear
4. How many practices does our team get each week?
- HappyFeet League: Saturday only, 1-hour session. NO practice sessions.
- FUTURE LEGENDS
U5 and U6: One 1-hour practice per week... starting at 6:00 PM
U7 and U8: One 1-hour and fifteen minute practice per week... starting at 6:30 PM
U10: up to two 1-1/2 hour practices per week.... U10s practice each Wednesday (6:00 PM) at the Cloyes Soccer Field Park with the Legends’ staff, AND one day per week with their volunteer coach at the Germantown Soccerplex.
- FUTURE LEGENDS ADVANCED REC (when program is available)
U7: One 1-hour 15 minute training sesson per week with their Legends 'licensed' Coach.
U8 and U9: Up to two 1-hour 15 minute practices per week with their Legends ‘licensed’ Coach.
- JR. LEGENDS
U12- U19: Up to two 1-1/2 hour practices per week
- LEGENDS....competitive Soccer
Three team training sessions per week, PLUS Excel Training Session (Skills, Strength & Agility) weekly during the Fall and Spring Season, PLUS Finishing & Goalkeeping Training Sessions weekly during the Fall and Spring Season.
- TOPSoccer - one session per week
5. What does KINS stand for?
Kicking is NOT Soccer
6. When are the ‘free’ Skill Sessions for the Future Legends Divisions?
Cloyes Soccer Park - Monday, Tuesday & Thursday
U5 and U6 beginning at 6:00 PM
U7 and U8 beginning at 6:30 PM
Germantown Soccerplex Park (dates TBD)
U9/ U10 — 15- 30 minutes depending on the Skill being taught
7. Where are the Soccer Parks located in Germantown?
CLOYES SOCCER PARK (north of Germantown Fire Station No. 1)
GERMANTOWN SOCCERPLEX (across from Germantown Middle School)
8. Where can the Germantown Legends Soccer Program be found on the internet? Where can we go regarding whether the fields are open, or when the conditions are questionable?
* Includes field and weather updates
9. What does the ‘U’ in U6 mean?
It means 'under' 6.
For example, U6 means under 6. Everyone playing in that age group is the age 6 or younger. See website for Age Chart.
10. What is the Lightning 30-minute Clock?
- Personnel should not return to the practice or game area until thirty (30) minutes have passed since the last lightning flash.
- Each time lightning is observed and or thunder is hear, the ’30-minute clock’ is to be reset.
- Blue skies in the local area and or a lack of rainfall are not adequate reasons to breach the 30-minute return-to-play rule. Lightning can strike up to ten (10) miles away from the rain shaft of a storm.
- Your field staff and or supervisor will make the calls on the weather for all games.
- All Coaches will need to follow the first 3 bullets above for practices.
- Visit WEATHER.GermantownLegends.com for more details
11. I’m interested in becoming a Volunteer Coach, what is the process?
- Register online as a ‘Volunteer Coach, Team Manager or Ambassador’
- Fill out the City of Germantown’s Parks & Recreation Department ‘Volunteer Background Consent/ Release Form’ and return to Germantown Legends Staff or deliver directly to the Germantown Parks & Recreation Department Office
12. Can our team have more than one Coach?
Yes, in fact, we recommend having more than one coach. Each of our Future Legends and Jr. Legends (Recreational) teams is encouraged to have a minimum of three Volunteers - Head Coach, Assistant Coach and Team Manager (or two Co-coaches and Team Manager). If not a ‘Head’ Coach, than two Assistant Coaches is acceptable as well.
Also, only players and coaches are to sit together during games. Parents are to sit on the opposite side of the field (where possible).
13. What are the responsibilities of the volunteer Recreation Soccer Coaches?
- Monitor practice scrimmages (small-sides games)
- Focuses on a substitution pattern for games
- Ensure equal playing time for all players regardless of the score
- Positively encourage players
- Be a role model to the players and parents
- Have FUN!
- Helps to corral the players not playing in the game
- Assist in the supervision of games and practices
- In absence of the head coach, assumes the lead ‘on-field’ responsibilities
- Be a role model to the players and parents
- Have FUN!
- Manages the communication (regarding games and practices) to the parents of the team
- Organize the after game snack and drink schedule
- With the help of other parents, organizes 'off the field' activities (i.e. ‘end of the party’)
- Have FUN!
14. How can Head Coaches receive reduced or FREE registration fees for their child?
- All U6 Coed Head Coaches will receive a 50% discount (registration fee) for the child they are coaching
- All U5/ U6 thru U7/U8 Head Coaches with a USSF F Coaching License, Youth Module Certificate (or NSCAA equivalent) will receive one FREE Registration Fee for the child they are coaching.
- Any U6 thru U19 Head Coach with the appropriate coaching license or diploma (USSF Grassroots 4v4, 7v7, 9v9 or 11v11; USSF E Coaching License and or United Soccer Coaches equivalent) will receive one FREE Registration Fee for the child they are coaching.
From time to time, the Germantown Legends will host USSF Coaching Courses for all Coaches in the area. Some, but not all, are FREE to the parents and coaches within the Germantown Legends Soccer program.
Please check the Germantown Legends website calendar (CALENDAR.GermantownLegends.com), the Tennessee State Soccer Association website (www.TNSoccer.org) and or the National Soccer Coaches Association of America website (www.NSCAA.com) for more information, upcoming course dates, or to register.
15. How are Future Legends and Jr. Legends teams formed?
- Players who are registered within the ‘Early Bird’ and ‘regular’ registration periods are typically placed on teams based on the schools and or churches they attend.
- While requests are welcome, requests are for players, parents and or coaches that sign up during the 'early' or 'regular' registration periods (i.e., Requests made during the 'Late' Registration period may not be honored).
- Keep in mind, when three or more players request to play together, one of the parents MUST be either a Coach or Team Manager.
- For more details, please visit the ‘Registration Policies’ online.
16. Can my son or daughter’s team stay intact from the Fall to Spring Season?
Provided you have made the request in the appropriate boxes online, and noted the name of the Coach you wish your son or daughter to play for, we will do everything possible to keep teams intact from the Fall to the Spring Season.
Also, all team members need to have registered before the end of the ‘early registration’ period and their balances are paid in full.
Keep in mind, when three or more players request to play together, one of the parents should be either a Coach or Team Manager.
For more details, please visit the ‘Registration Policies’ online.
17. Why do you call your U5, U6, U7, U8 and U10 Boys & Girls Divisions ‘Future Legends’?
While the U5/ U6 Coed and U7/ U8 and U9/ U10 Boys and Girls Divisions are part of our overall Recreation Soccer Program, there is an emphasis placed on instruction and rules of the game for both the players and their parents.
In addition, these divisions receive a FREE Skills Session each week during the season.
18. What is the Advanced Rec or Academy program?
The Future Legends Advanced Rec is a Soccer program designed for all U7, U8 & U9 boys and girls who want an extra challenge, and may someday want to compete at a higher level. No tryouts, all kids welcome. This is a transitional program for players someday wanting to move into our Legends competitive program.
The Advanced Rec program is run by the Germantown Legends ‘licensed’ Coaching Staff.
This program is ‘in addition to’ the Jr. Legends Recreation Soccer program. A player must be on a Jr. Legends Recreation Soccer team in order to participate in the Future Legends Academy program.
Practice dates could be include: Wednesday evenings, Friday evenings, Saturday afternoons, and or Sunday afternoon during the season.
Game dates, times and locations to be announced. Festivals (Games) will be played against other ‘Academy type’ programs in the area.
This program is available on a season to season basis, based on the numbers, needs and skill level of the players available.
19. What options do you have for ‘Advanced Rec’ Players?
- Players stay in their appropriate ‘Age’ Division, and participate in the weekly Academy practice session.
- Players may ‘play-up’ one Age Division, as a team, while also participating in the weekly Academy practice sessions.
- This program is available on a season to season basis, based on the numbers, needs and skill level of the players available.
20. What color jerseys are worn by the home and away teams?
The ‘Home’ team wears white or light colored jersey, while the ‘Away’ team wears red or dark colored jerseys. Players should always bring both jerseys to all games.
21. Why does our league NOT post standings?
At the younger ages, we place a priority on participation and individual player development, NOT the results of the games. The emphasis should be on having FUN, especially at the early ages of your son or daughter’s soccer career.
22. How many players are on a Future Legends or Jr. Legends Recreation Soccer Team?
- U5/ U6 play 3v3.... maximum of 6 on a team,... ideal target is 4 or 5
- U7/ U8 play 4v4.... maximum of 8 on a team,... ideal target is 6
- U9/ U10 play 6v6.... maximum of 12 on a team,... ideal target is 9
- U12 play 8v8.... maximum of 16 on a team,... ideal target is 12
- U15 playing 7v7.... maximum of 14 on a team,... ideal target is 10
- U15 playing 11v11.... maximum of 18 on a team,... ideal target is 15
- U19 Coed plays 11v11.... Maximum of 25 on a team,....4 girls must be on field at all times
For the development of your child and to ensure your child’s enjoyment of the game, it is best to NOT build each team to the maximum number of players.... hence, we need parent volunteers.
23. How do I register my child to participate in the Germantown Jr. Legends (including Future Legends and Academy), HappyFeet or TOPSoccer programs?
Registration for all programs is done online at REGISTER.GermantownLegends.com.
24. Are there any other Volunteer opportunities within the Germantown Legends Soccer program?
Legends Ambassador’s —liaison between Germantown Legends Soccer and your local School or Church
- Help to deliver flyers and announcements to your organization
- Help to post signs at local Parks and Businesses
- Aid in getting messages out to PTA and Church bulletin
- See the website, as many other opportunities will exist during the season (Picnic, Christmas Parade, etc.).
TOPSoccer ‘Buddy’ – assist with the TOPSoccer program
25. Are Uniform Kits included in the Germantown Jr. Legends (including Future Legends and Academy), HappyFeet or TOPSoccer programs?
- Uniform Tops are only included in the HappyFeet, TOPSoccer, and Academy programs registration fees.
- Uniform Kits for the Future Legends and Jr. Legends Recreation Soccer Program, are NOT included in the registration fee.
REC Uniform Kits are ordered separate of registration.
Uniform Kit ordering procedures to be available by early August for the Fall season, and early February for the Spring season.
US Youth Soccer TOPSoccer (The Outreach Program for Soccer) is a community-based training and team placement program for young athletes with disabilities. The purpose is to give every player a chance to experience the joy of soccer.
TOPSoccer is a once per week program.
Setup a small soccer activity area to practice some of your favorite moves, or visit the following links for more activities:
- Ball Mastery... SkillsForLegends.GermantownLegends.com
The Germantown Legends are a premier youth soccer club located in Germantown, Tennessee.
Established in 2011, the Legends Soccer Club focuses intensely on creating brave creative leaders for life. Our no guilt, no shame, no blame philosophy gives kids the confidence to get out of their comfort zone and create the big play in any situation!
The Germantown Legends Soccer program is the official 'Soccer Provider' to the City of Germantown.
For Field conditions, Inclement weather, Program updates, Camp information, etc., please visit the following: