Why We Juggle
Players are encouraged to spend more of their free time juggling. As we all know, juggling is an integral part of player development. It is also a known fact that all good jugglers are not necessarily good soccer players, but it is certain that all good soccer players are good jugglers. We want to encourage our young players to make juggling a habit because:
• Players develop better overall ball manipulation skills
• Players develop coordination, balance, reaction speed, learn to use both feet etc.
• Players can set and achieve goals (personal juggling record) and also develop good work/practice habits and determination to reach those goals
FIRST TOUCH = FIRST CLASS
We have come a long way over the past year as a soccer club, and each player has made great strides to seek excellence in their improvement on the soccer pitch. In order for our players to be successful, it is important that we really refine and improve our first touch.
Here are some activities to help promote the process of improving your first touch as a player. Each one of these will be useful to help increase your juggle count, but also to help you with your technical receiving, and skill on the ball during training and matches. Try some of these out with a regular routine and your first touch will greatly improve.
THE ONE-BOUNCE GAME
Players juggle but are allowed a bounce in between each touch. It is important to make sure that you use both feet. This is a great activity for those players just learning how to juggle/improve their first touch
• Alternate feet
• Take a bounce juggle twice with the same foot, and then bounce, then juggle twice with the opposite foot, repeat etc
• Juggle foot, thigh, then a bounce, then switch feet/legs
• Juggle foot, head, thigh, foot then a bounce and switch legs/feet
REGULAR JUGGLING IDEAS
• Juggle Feet Only
• Alternate right to left foot
• Around the world - this is a hard one! Start with ball on right thigh, then right foot, to right shoulder, to head, to left shoulder, to left thigh, to left foot, back to right thigh and then repeat
• Juggle feet only, keeping the ball below your knees
• Juggle feet only keeping the ball below your shins
• Take one to two touches (start any touch progress to feet only) then knock the ball to head level, then receive, take one to touches then hit the ball to head level again
• Take one to two juggles, knock the ball over your head/find it, then take the ball out of the air(without a bounce), and continue the process with one to two touches, then knock the ball over again
JUGGLE SEQUENCE GAME
Players will begin with one juggle with either foot, then add one more juggle with the other foot, then switch back to the other foot, and add another juggle. Keep on going as high as you can go.
Example: Right foot = 1, Left foot =2, Right foot = 3, Left Foot = 4 and continue
JUGGLE AGAINST A WALL
Take one to two touches, and hit a ball up against a wall and or a hard surface. Then, receive the ball out of the air without a bounce;take one to two touches again.
• one foot only
• alternate feet
• touch to the wall must be headed
• must receive the ball out of the air feet only
The Germantown Legends are a premier youth soccer club located in Germantown, Tennessee.
Established in 2011, the Legends Soccer Club focuses intensely on creating brave creative leaders for life. Our no guilt, no shame, no blame philosophy gives kids the confidence to get out of their comfort zone and create the big play in any situation!
The Germantown Legends Soccer program is the official 'Soccer Provider' to the City of Germantown.
For Field conditions, Inclement weather, Program updates, Camp information, etc., please visit the following: