Weather Policies and Information
Get your latest weather updates/cancelations:
Below, you will find information regarding our policies and recommendations regarding the weather:
- 30-minute Lighning Rule
- Cold Weather Recommendations
- Hot Weather Recommendations
30-MINUTE LIGHTENING RULE
Criteria for Safe Return to Practice or Game Area after seeing Lightning or hearing Thunder... the ’30-minute' Clock
- Personnel should not return to the practice or game area until thirty (30) minutes have passed since the last lightning flash.
- Each time lightning is observed and or thunder is hear, the ’30-minute clock’ is to be reset.
- Blue skies in the local area and or a lack of rainfall are not adequate reasons to breach the 30-minute return-to-play rule. Lightning can strike up to ten (10) miles away from the rain shaft of a storm.
- Your field staff and or supervisor will make the calls on the weather for all games.
- All Coaches will need to follow the first three points above for practices.
COLD WEATHER RECOMMENDATIONS
Follow the temperature (either ambient or with wind chill) recommendations below for cold weather.
|46°or warmer||Normal Play|
Additional clothing ALLOWED layered beneath uniform (long sleeves, long pants, gloves, mittens, hats without straps, jackets).
-NOT ALLOWED: Hooded sweatshirts, Ear muffs (head bands are okay) or Scarves
|36°- 40°||Each half shortened by five minutes.|
|35° or colder||
Based on projected air temperature or wind-chill Index 2 hours prior to game time.
HOT WEATHER RECOMMENDATIONS
HEAT INDEX UNDER 95°
Provide ample water. Water is always available and athletes have unrestricted access. Optional water breaks every 30 minutes for 10 minute time frames. Ice-down towels are available. Athletes should be monitored carefully. Re-check heat index every 30 minutes.
HEAT INDEX FROM 95° TO 104°
Provide ample water. Water is always available and athletes have unrestricted access. Mandatory water breaks every 30 minutes for 10 minute time frames. Ice-down towels are available. Reduce time outside or move indoors to air conditioning if possible. Postpone practice to later in the day if possible. Re-check heat index every 30 minutes.
HEAT INDEX FROM 105° AND ABOVE
Stop all outside activity including practice or play. Stop all indoor activity if air conditioning is not available and the heat index indoors is 105° or greater. Re-check heat index every 30 minutes.
Remember that SOCCER IS A GAME! Health and safety of players should be our number one concern.
Parents have the primary responsibility for keeping their children safe. Please be aware of weather conditions during practices and games, and be prepared to pick your child up early or keep them home if warranted.
*Coaches and Officials should use best judgment when making the call. Officials have final say at the field.*
For Field Conditions, Inclement Weather, Program updates, Camp information, etc., please visit the following: