Silent Sideline Weekend
Friday, April 5, 2019 thru Sunday, April 7, 2019
CLOYES SOCCER FIELD PARK
2700 Cross Country
Germantown, TN 38138
7930 CD Smith
Germantown, TN 38138
SILENT SIDELINE WEEKEND
April 5- 7, 2019 (Friday thru Sunday)
"Silent Sideline" is ONE WEEKEND out of the schedule in which parents, coaches and spectators are NOT allowed to talk during the game. This may sound like a radical idea, but the program has met with huge success rates all over the country.
PAST COMMENTS FROM OTHER SILENT SIDELINE WEEKENDS
Several coaches commented on how well their players communicated on the field, something that seldom gets noticed in all of the extra noise of typical game days.
The feedback directly from the kids was very positive. Many said they could concentrate more; some did say that they liked not having their parents yell at them if they "messed up." The kids were happy that their parents made signs and banners with their names on them, or wore t-shirts with their pictures. They liked being able to make decisions (who takes the ball out, who does the goal kick, etc.).
OBJECTIVES OF SILENT SIDELINE WEEKEND:
- To give players a chance to trust their skills and instincts without sideline input, and without concern that their mistakes will be corrected from the sidelines in a game environment.
- To foster leadership skills among the individual players as they have the unique opportunity of giving (your) instruction on the field.
- To foster a sense of true teamwork as the players must learn to rely upon one another and communicate with each other accordingly.
- To remind coaches, parents, and players that PRACTICE is the time for instruction. Games are the showcases for learning.
- To remind everyone that youth soccer is primarily for the purpose of KIDS PLAYING, LEARNING and having FUN.
Remember - kids go out on the playground every day and play soccer, baseball and basketball without help or cheers from the sidelines.
To support our youth referees, please review the following rules of Silent Sideline Weekend.
SILENT SIDELINE RULES:
- Silent Sideline does NOT apply to the U5 division.
- U6 Coaches may verbally coach, however parents must observe the rules of Silence of the day.
- Coaches and parents in all other divisions must observe the rules of Silence of the day.
- NO shouting at the referees
- NO directing or advice from adults at any time.
- Absolutely NO shouting when a player is about to receive the ball or pass it.
- Coaches are permitted to call out for substitutions, and coaches may speak quietly to their players on the sidelines, giving them instructions to carry out onto the field, such as "Joey, I want you to switch positions with Tommy, and make sure Billy gets a chance to do a throw in, ok?"
- Silent at all times even when a team scores (only clapping allowed).
- Parents are encouraged to make posters, signs, or banners showing their child's name.
- Some whole teams or individual parents even make T-shirts showing their child's name, or even a photo.
- Contact your local T-shirt or screen printing business for T-shirt details.
- Parents are also encouraged to bring pom-poms, or cow bells, or drums, or other noise makers (NO Whistles, please) to let the children hear their continued support.
The Germantown Legends are a premier youth soccer club located in Germantown, Tennessee.
Established in 2011, the Legends Soccer Club focuses intensely on creating brave creative leaders for life. Our no guilt, no shame, no blame philosophy gives kids the confidence to get out of their comfort zone and create the big play in any situation!
The Germantown Legends Soccer program is the official 'Soccer Provider' to the City of Germantown.
For Field conditions, Inclement weather, Program updates, Camp information, etc., please visit the following: